Saturday, April 28, 2012

catch-up, MTC, March 7, 2012


March 7, 2012: 7:00 pm
 I'm down in the lobby using the internet. We actually got some time to breath tonight. We are very busy, but it is great. We taught our first lesson today. People in the area (members of the church) volunteer to come to the MTC and role-play being investigators of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day-saints. Elder Scott and I were assigned the sweetest couple. I don’t remember their names, but that’s irrelevant. (Insert March 10, 2012; Brother and Sister Black). He is 87 years old. We didn’t ask her age. I was so nervous before we went in to the room, as usual. It seemed like a test to me, if you know what I mean. When we met them, I totally relaxed. They were so close to mom and dad’s age; I’m sure that’s why.
While we were walking in, some of our group were saying that it would be hard to teach them because they already know the gospel. The thought came to me and to Elder Paddock at the same time that; none of us know the gospel perfectly and we all have problems and trials that we face. That we needed to listen to the spirit and maybe there would be something we could help them with through the power of the Holy Ghost. Well, they (the Blacks) were very knowledgeable and it was hard for us and them to stay in the roleplaying mode. Elder Scott and I and they took turns falling out of role-play mode the whole time we were talking. We loved them right off the bat and I think they didn’t mind us either. He is a World War 2 veteran. After the sister gave a closing prayer, which we were all instructed not to role play, the brother said, he knew that we didn’t have time, but if we would have had time, they would love to take us out to eat or have us over to their home. I said OK, we are out of role-play mode and we talked for real and got to know each other better. She and I hugged when we had to go.
The MTC is such a wonderful experience. Elder Scott (I’m trying to get used to using that title because we are supposed to while we are on our mission. It’s getting easier, but we both remind each other once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment