Monday, February 11, 2013

David Taylor's letter, February 10, 2013


Letter from home
Inbox
x

David Taylor <tdvdbtylr@gmail.com>
6:25 PM (11 hours ago)
to me
Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dear Elder and Sister Scott,
I am glad that our son got to visit Nauvoo last summer with the single adult ward.  They did baptisms for many of our dead ancestors while there.  I just talked to Delbert and Doris Dabb last Friday after I got off work.  I went to their house to make a special visit before they leave for their St. George Temple Visitors Center mission.  They are leaving tomorrow to go to the MTC in Provo.  They expressed that they feel both nervous and excited.  I told them that they will have a wonderful mission just like you are experiencing in Nauvoo.  They think very highly of you and miss you.  I think they will be serving their mission for about two years.  Julia Dabb will be moving into their house while they are gone.  Del told my son, Michael, that he will be renting the old house that Julia has been staying in.  Michael talked like Del said that the old house is going to be up for sale after his parents return from their mission.  Julia will have to find another place to live after they return. 

We have been getting a lot of snow this last few weeks.  I wondered about the bad snow storms that several state around New York and Massachusetts.  I hope the storms haven't hit hard where you are at.  You are so blessed to be by that beautiful Nauvoo Temple!!  I have never been there, yet. 

My father was doing poorly last November.  I wondered if he would be around much longer because his health was poor and he fell several times.  Lately, he has been doing great!  My nephew and niece moved in with him last December before Christmas.  They have an eleven month old daughter who is very good-natured.  If she had been a very fussy child, I think my dad would have had a hard time with that because he has been alone for almost five years. 

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, of the First Presidency, said in the February 2013 Ensign that if we are the hesitant missionary, we should remember four things:  First, be a light.  That can mean to preach the gospel at all times with words or unspoken words.  Sometimes the most powerful sermons are unspoken.  Radiate happiness.  That can lead others to ask you, "Why are you so happy?"  Second, be conversational.  Bring up spiritual experiences or Church activities you have had and work those experiences into your casual conversations with friends and acquaintances.  Internet and social media make it easier to talk about these things in a conversational way.  Third, be full of grace.  We should be more charitable and speak words of grace and be charitable to others.  Fourth, we should be filled with faith.  The Lord doesn't expect us to do the converting.  Conversion comes not through our words but through the heavenly ministrations of the Holy Spirit.
Finally, we can each find a way to use our own particular talents and interests in support of filling the world with light and truth.  As we do so, we will find the joy that comes to those who are faithful and courageous enough "to stand as witnesses of God at all times." 

I wish you many wonderful experiences and know you will receive so many blessings for your service to your Heavenly Father's children.  Your own children and grandchildren will be taken care of and will receive blessings while you are serving your mission.  I love you for all your goodness and kindness.

Love,
David Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment