Saturday, June 15, 2013

Letter from Danny Taylor, 14 Jun 2013

Fwd: Letter from Danny

David Taylor
3:58 PM (22 hours ago)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Taylor <taylord123@myldsmail.net>
Date: Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Subject: Letter from Danny
To: tdvdbtylr@gmail.com

Hola mi familia,
How's everybody doing?  It has only been like a few days, but it has been pretty good here at the MTC.  So by the end of this email, I will try and send some pictures with what time I have left, but I can't make any promises at the moment.  So without further dilly dallying, my MTC mailbox stuff I believe is:
 
Elder Daniel Thomas Taylor
JUL23 GUA-RET
2011 N 900 E Unit 244
Provo, UT 84602
 
I hope that is all the information you need.  I am not sure what Jeremy or Mike sent if it had more because I am still pretty new here and don't know much about what is going on.  But hopefully that should do it for my mailing address because those 2 pairs of levi's that are at home, I need them ASAP.  Tomorrow is my service project and I am going to have to borrow someone else's jeans or something because I don't have any.  I will definitely need them for next week though because my companion had to wear his missionary clothes all today because both companions have to be dressed kind of similar and since I was just going to wear my church clothes today, he had to do the same.  He is a really great guy though and has a lot of patience.  My senior companion's name is Elder Vasquez and he is a really cool dude.  He is from Kaysville Utah but he was born in Lima, Peru.  His father moved here to America first probably right when he was born so that he could earn the money to bring his family over with him.  So he has had a lot of Spanish when he was little, but he tells me and my district that he forgot most of it because as he was growing up, English took hold as a major part of his life and he didn't use his Spanish much.  That is why he is in the Intermediate Spanish class here at the MTC instead of the Advanced class.
So my first day after you guys dropped me off wasn't what I expected.  I remained pretty calm about everything and it was a lot more easy going that first day which helped me to get adjusted a little bit to the type of MTC life that I am going to be living for a little while.  There are a whole bunch of guys in my District, most are from Utah and Elder Graham is from Gainsville, Florida which I thought that Mike would love to know haha.  The others are: Elder McCrea who is a crazy guy, Elder Cook who is just plain awesome, Elder McCord is a beast of a person that is really nice but got in trouble for dunking it during basketball yesterday haha, Elder Stepan (like step-un) is our district leader and he is such a humble person to be around and is friendly all the time.  There are others, but these are the guys that are in the same room as me.
After getting to know these guys and putting my stuff in my room, we had an awesome opening devotional where I got to get that awesome missionary feel of being in the midst of many awesome Elders and Sisters who have been called to serve our Lord Jesus Christ and to sing the missionary songs and replace the words like "and we will be the Lord's missionaries" with "and we are the Lord's missionaries."  But anyways, it was a pretty good devotional.  Following it, we went to class and my teacher, Brother Call, did not speak any English at all and I was felt alright because I understood the stuff he was saying.
On Wednesday, I got to meet a missionary celebrity haha.  We did this really cool lesson thing that was designed to get us to feel the Spirit and receive revelation on how we could help these "investigators" who were acting out actual investigators that people have had.  Anyways, Elder Christiansen (don't know how to spell it haha) from the District videos was our teacher and his skill at what he does is just amazing.  He helped bring the Spirit into the room so strong and I was so glad that I got to have him as our guide and help us to listen closely for the Spirit.  I would like to say more about it, but I am running out of time.  After this activity, I got to meet my zone leaders, Elder Hay You and Elder Stocks.  I also got to briefly meet my Branch President, Elder Tyler.
Yesterday, was an ok day.  I really loved the time I got to do personal study and to write down the things I learned from my study in a notebook made all the difference.  I did get a little discouraged though in my language class because even though I understand a lot of what Bro. Call said, it was frustrating because I could not say what I really wanted to say.  But, I managed to get myself in check and push on through that class and ultimately learned how to pray in Spanish.  That was really awesome because that is something that I have to use quite often haha.  It was this day at gym that Elder McCord dunked a hoop because he was a basketball player in school and he had hoped that he would at least get a warning.  But no, they stopped him and it was hilarious.  To skip ahead to the end of the day, we had our official meeting with Pres. Tyler and he is so awesome.  I loved my interview with him because he is super humble.  In the lesson, he was quoting scriptures and quotes left and right and it blew my mind away.  I feel lucky to have him as my branch leader.
Well I better stop at that right now if I want to send you guys some pictures.  Love you all and can't wait to hear from you soon and get my levis haha.  Adios!
 
Love,
Danny
 

No comments:

Post a Comment