Wednesday, January 2, 2013

January 2, 2013

Jan. 2, 2013:
I can't help but think of the song about the fleeting moments this morning. This morning, the spirit told me to get up and look out. I got out of bed about 5:30 am and of course, went right to the windows to look out. The moon has been beautiful for several nights and it casts it's light across the snow so you can see pretty good outside. There again, right in our backyard, were "my" wonderful deer. They moved across the road from the north, along our driveway, to the tree to check out the bird feeder (they like the bird seed Elder Scott puts out to attract them and birds), to graze on the tender grass that isn't covered by snow, and then meander southeast to the spot where the four fences would meet if there wasn't some of it left out so the mowers can move from place to place to mow in the summer, and I'm sure they move on to the bluff to bed down for the day, grazing along the way. Some nights they stay for hours, even bedding down under the big pine tree out there in our backyard and across the fence in the Heber C Kimball Home's side of the block. Other nights, they just move through, on there way back to their thickets, I'm sure. This early morning, they just came through, only eating as they moved on. Now about the fleeting moments song. My mind thought, "presses on to our view and eternities here, presses on to our view and eternities here". If I wouldn't have looked out when I did, I would have missed them totally. How like our lives this is. Sometimes I get so bogged down by the busyness of my day that I totally miss out on the good things in life. The things that last, the things that matter, the sweet things, the best part of life. Thankfully, I don't always miss out. I listened to the spirit this morning and saw the best part of that fleeting moment. It told me to get up and look out and I did.
On Christmas morning, when I saw the buck move into our yard, my mind thought of the poem about Christmas and Santa Claus: The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow, gave a luster of midday to objects below. I could change it to, When what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a beautiful, majestic   buck and on other days, seven beautiful deer. We see a herd of seven a lot, but this morning, I think I counted eight. Maybe I counted one of them twice?
Well, better go get at it. The busyness of the day calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment